Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Buck Fush" and the Left

"Buck Fush" and the Left

Higher civilization has always regarded the use of expletives in public (outside of, let us say, theatrical performances) as a form of assault on civilization. That is why as a broadcaster I am prohibited from saying seven selected words on the air. No one monitors my private conversations, but just about everyone, at least until the 1960s, understood that there was something very wrong in saying such words on the radio or putting them on billboards. That is why we have, as a society, crossed a line when people put expletives on bumper stickers ("S--t Happens," "Buck Fush") or usethem in public in distinguished company -- as in newspaper interviews or campaign fund raisers. Even the individual who puts a "Buck Fush" sticker on his or her car knows that the real "f-word" would constitute an assault on whatever remains of the concept of decency.


While I disagree that this is a problem that is unique to the left, I agree with the point that is being made here. I think that open use of language that is commonly understood to be profane is rude, it is a brazen disregard for others. In using that language, choosing to put that message out there you are saying that you don't care about other peoples feelings. It doesn't bother you that someone might be offended by the statement that you are making.

There is a difference between someone being offended because they don't agree with the statement you are making, and because of the tone. I find profanity to be disgusting and offensive and I think that it brings down the tone of conversation where ever it is present. When I see a sticker that has a profanity about Bush, it offends me not because I like Bush, but because of the language.

I think the key to what I am saying is respect. When you put a sticker on your car, or you wear a shirt - do you have enough respect for your fellow man to be decent or not?

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile