Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fred The Fearless?

Captain's Quarters: Fred The Fearless?

"'There's no reason for me to run just to be president,' he said. 'I don't
desire the emoluments of the office. I don't want to live a lie and clever my
way to the nomination or election. But if you can put your ideas out there --
different, more far-reaching ideas -- that is worth doing.' Thompson, like many
of the others running, has caught a strong whiff of the public disillusionment
with both parties in Washington -- and the partisanship that has infected
Congress, helping to speed his own departure from the Senate. But he says he
thinks the public is looking for a different kind of leadership. 'I think a
president could go to the American people and say, 'Here's what we need to be
doing. And I'm willing to go halfway. Now you have to make them [the opposition]
go halfway.' '"


He says he wants to run a different style of campaign, is that one that never declares that it is running? He makes some strong points here, but it still sounds like political hash to me. I still don't think that Fred is going to run for office, he is missing his window. At the end of the day we might just look back at this and understand that what he was saying was that he wanted to inject ideas into the race. He wanted the threat that he would run, to change the positions of others in the race, and it has. He has every right to do that.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile