Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Who is voting for Sanjaya?

Why does Sanjaya reign on 'Idol'? (AP)

I don't understand this Sanjaya craze and why I can't get away from it. Ok, I admit if I really tried I could get away from it. However it has taken over every story in the blogs for weeks now. Weeks in blog terms is like years in old news terms. Does he really have any fans, or is this just one big joke.

I have stated before that I think this is a way of Americans expressing their distaste for the show. However wouldn't it be easier to just shut it off. There is a problem with just shutting it off, everyone is watching it, and if you shut it off you are shutting yourself out. Some have suggested that Howard Stern is behind a push to vote for Sanjaya. This is because of a comment he made on that air saying that he wanted Sanjaya to win. There was the short lived rumor that he had called in some help from Indian call centers. Another theory sets the very contestants of the show against the show. It claims that it is the rejected singers that are voting for Sanjaya as pay back.

He does however have some fans. "I like his hairstyles," a 7-year-old girl from Westborough, Mass. Her mom however tells a different story, saying that her daughter thinks that Sanjaya is cute. However according to Yahoo News, only 17 percent of the audience of American Idol is teen or pre-teen.

Maybe it is a clever ploy by the producers of the show to bring in viewers. Viewers who are so interested in talking about it, they ask presidential candidates about him. Hillary Clinton told a gathering recently that it is just like voting for president, "People can vote for whomever they want". (I will save you the detailed comparison that comes to mind)

Whatever it is that is allowing him to hang on, could it get him to the top of the pile at the end of the day? Could it make him the big winner? I think that honestly what is driving this is a little of all these forces working together. I doubt if Sanjaya wins that he will care that he won at least partly due to the votes of people who hate him.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile