Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Fashionista Diaries

Ok so I haven't really got into a reality TV show before, but this one is got me. It is on the Soap Net, or for people like me that don't have TV you can watch it on ITunes -I downloaded ITunes just to watch this show. It is set in New York, and six assistants are trying to get jobs, at Jane Mag (that will have to change), Flirt Cosmetics and Seventh House PR. It sounds like the basic format for these shows, but this one is really fun to me.

The first one is Racheal, she is really sweet, she makes me think of Sienna Miller. She is working at Jane Mag, which must be a sad time for her. She told the editor there that she wanted to be in her shoes in ten years (don't think she meant unemployed). She has a lot of energy and is very friendly, she is getting into it more than the others I think. She is the one that I mentioned yesterday said that she was a cross between Kate Moss, Cameron Diaz and Janis Joplin.

Next comes Andrew, the only guy. He is a player, he tells everyone that he got into fashion as a way of meeting girls - or sometimes he says womyn. The girls think he is cute, I don't know that he is. He has a thing for Bridgette but also seems like he would go for Racheal if that worked out first (he might just do the first one on the show that spreads her legs). Being that he is in it for the girls he doesn't know much about what he is doing. He is working with Jane Mag, and he openly admitted he had picked up a copy or two before, but didn't read it. If he is going to score he can score with the girls, maybe more than one of them - but he can't do that and get the job so he will have to choose. He reminds me of Brody Jenner.

Nicole, is the one that is having the hardest time of the group. She came into this with not a lot of knowledge and has been spoken down to for it. On the first day they told her she was not going to be able to wear flip-flops, common girl where do you think you are. She thinks it is all fake, and that doesn't help someone, and I don't think it is going to help her. Nicole is the only one that I know for sure isn't going to make it. Fashion is either something you love, something that comes naturally to you or it isn't. As much as this is a great chance for someone, she is treating it like just a job. The person she reminds me of is Amy Winehouse.

Then there is the star of the show, Bridget. She thinks no doubt that she is the star of the show and in that Paris Hilton way where you become the star by acting like it, she is. She is comfortable with what she is doing, she has some experience and some back ground in fashion and that means a lot. Her style is a little preppy, she is the Paris Hilton of the show, and that is who she reminds me of. She even does odd things like you might expect Paris to do. When she is waiting for the other assistants to come with Nicole, she tells Nicole - "I want to spit out my gum, can you swallow my gum?" Nicole gets a tissue for her. I think that she is going to do well on the show, her and Nicole are working together at Seventh House - which is one of the problems that Nicole is going to have to deal with. (she tells Nicole, I like you, I'll help you.... sometimes)

Janjay is the most understated of all the group, but she has the best chances of success. She is smart, and she knows that it is going to take hard work to get this. She is working at Flirt Cosmetics with Tina, and during the opening when they told them how much they would have to know, she never blinked (we will talk about how Tina reacted next). I think that she is going to face every challenge with all she has, and that she is going to do very well. The person that she reminds me of is Jada Pinkett Smith. It takes a lot of strength to keep things working in a Hollywood family behind the scenes, and still look beautiful - I think Janjay has that strength.

I like Tina, she is my favorite one on the show, so it pains me to say that I don't think she is going to make it. While they were talking to her and Janjay about the cosmetics and what they would need to know, as Janjay was taking it all in - Tina was drowning. At one point she looks around the room and you can see the fear in her eyes. This just might be to much for her. That is unless she has more spirit than she has shown on the first show and that will hold her through. Her chances increase if she is willing to not give up on herself. She has formed a good friendship with Janjay, probably the only real friendship in the show. She reminds me of Lisa Kudrow, she has the same suttle beauty - but at the same time she needs to learn to be more bold.

In the first episode, there wasn't that much that had to be done. The Jane Mag workers got to go to a Red Carpet event and talk to some stars. Watching that made me understand how crazy those events must be for everyone involved. The stars have to work the line, or risk being damaged in the media. Nicole was supposed to be the gatekeeper at an event, but she was letting pretty much everyone in. They told her, if their name is not on the list tell them it is a private event, but people came and told her their name wasn't on a list and she just let them in. Tina got to run lipstick from Flirt to Jane for a photo shoot, she is going to have to learn how to hail a cab better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with your comments about the contenders on the show...tina and Janjay really are the only real developing friends on the show...
And I Must say..Im obsessed with Janjay...she has the greatest personality on the show and she reminds me alot of Sanaa Lathan...jus how she looks and reacts to things...

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile