Boy Banned From School Because Of Nut Allergy Air America Radio
"Four days into his first term at Howden School, George Hall-Lambert
was sent home by teachers because they discovered he had a nut allergy. George’s
mother, Judith Hall-Lambert, 37, said: “I am absolutely appalled. It is a
shambles. The school should be able to deal with children like George. He is
being discriminated against because he has a nut allergy. He is a bright kid and
this could really set back his education.”"
This is a hard case, it is one of those stories where if the school had allowed the child to remain, knowing they didn't have the skills to deal with it. Then something happened to the child, many of the same people would turn around and say to the school that the child should have been sent home. The school has to make sure all its students are safe, not only morally but legally in relationship to its insurance coverage. If a child were to be killed or injured at school, the insurance companies would have to pay out to the parents. Peanuts are everywhere at school, in candy, other children's lunches, and on the good equipment in the lunch room. The article claims that he had been at another school with no problem. Why take chances, when it is a child's life at risk? I support the move by the school.