Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Daily Kos: The Dems' Iraq Summer

Daily Kos: The Dems' Iraq Summer:

"Democratic congressional leaders, whose efforts to force a withdrawal from Iraq
were stymied last month, plan a summer of repeated Iraq-related votes designed
to force Republican lawmakers to abandon the White House before the fall.
At
the same time, antiwar groups are expanding their campaign to pressure GOP
incumbents in their home states.
Both efforts seek to ensure that anxious
Republican lawmakers — many of whom have said they want to wait until September
to assess President Bush's Iraq strategy — get no break from the war over the
summer."


I have said this before and I am saying it again. I am for this war ending, I believe that all of the candidates for the White House on the Democratic side are for this war ending. I think that all of the candidates on the Republican side are for this war ending. I think that the president the vice president and the secretary of state are for this war ending. I know that I have lost some of you on my point.

My point is not ending the war, no one wants the war to go on longer than it needs to. The talk about ending the war, of course means ending American involvement in the war, and our investment in Iraq. When the troops leave, the question is do we leave the country perched on the brink of chaos and violence? Do we stay until all the violence has ended in the country. I think there must be a third way, where we work with the government of Iraq, and we work to get the country stable, so we can bring the troops home. I think it is irresponsible to talk about bringing the troops home without talking about the effects that this will have on the country of Iraq. Democrats don't believe in Iraqis, they don't believe that they either can or do want freedom. I do believe in Iraqis, and I think that they want freedom and they want peace, maybe they should be working harder to reach those goals. I believe we need to support them in this task.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile