Monday, July 30, 2007

Survey On Surveillance Says -- Bring It On

Captain's Quarters: Survey On Surveillance Says -- Bring It On

"ABC News has published a fascinating poll on the use of public surveillance
systems for law enforcement, and the results will surprise many, especially
civil libertarians. Over 70% of Americans support British-style CCTV systems in
the US, and that support crosses all demographic boundaries."


I think that I would have to agree with this. When it comes to cameras in public spaces, spaces like streets and subways, where you don't expect that your actions are private, cameras are not a big deal. I am not afraid that people watching me will see me breaking the law, because for the most part I do not break the law. On the other hand, the cameras help to prevent a number of crimes, because people know that they are on camera. Until someone can explain to me, why I should be upset that a camera is watching me in a public place, a place that anyone could watch me, I think that it is worth the protection.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile