Friday, June 1, 2007

ABC News: EXCLUSIVE: TB Patient: 'I Really Believed I Wasn't Putting People at Risk'

ABC News: EXCLUSIVE: TB Patient: 'I Really Believed I Wasn't Putting People at Risk':

"Speaker said after the CDC called him in Rome and told him to cancel his
commercial fight plans, it didn't offer him any help. Speaker says it would have
cost $100,000 to fly back on a noncommercial airline. In effect, he said, the
CDC was walking away from him and his chance for treatment at the TB facility in
Denver.
'Before I left, it was made clear to me in order to fight this I had
one shot and that was here,' he said about his chances for survival. 'I had one
shot at this and if I didn't get right treatment, CDC sends testing out here, so
they can pick the right drugs to mix, and if I was somewhere where they got it
wrong, that was it, they blew my last shot.' "


It sounds to me like something is missing from his story. Did the CDC really leave him with no other options to come back to the states? From my perspective this sounds like one of those stories that someone tells you, and you feel so bad for them. However later you talk to someone else, they tell you the same story and it is similar, but different enough that you understand that there was other options. We have a military base in Germany, why not contact them about getting transport back to the US.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile