Friday, June 1, 2007

Daily Kos: Obama, Selma, and Conflict

Daily Kos: Obama, Selma, and Conflict:

"Barack amazes me in this: he gives these policy wonk answers that I love
because they respect the complexity of the question and show a great
understanding of the systemic problems policy has to address. But what freaks me
out is that the crowd goes rock star crazy for these wonky answers. It's as if I
walked into a frat house and people were doing keg-stands to C-Span. I mean, I'm
really excited that they're watching C-Span and all -- but can this really be
happening? And can it last? And what am I missing? "


This is something that I wonder about. How much of the movement behind Obama because of who he is and not what he is saying. I am not saying that his message isn't good, I wonder how much his followers are listening to the message. You could say that it doesn't matter for him as long as they vote for him, but I think it works against him and they system.

It works against him because as the race gets tougher, his supporters may drift to other candidates. This could happen because they listen to what they are saying with a more critical ear, and thus absorb the message better. The second fear is the assumption of victory, the assumption that a candidate is doing well in the polls can cause people to be more relaxed about supporting that candidate.

I think it harms the system because as I have said before America isn't ready for a black president. It is ready for a president who is black. It isn't ready for a womyn president, but a president who is a womyn. If the image overcomes the message, Washington is just a few steps away from Hollywood.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile