Saturday, August 18, 2007

ABC News: Giuliani-McCain: That's the Ticket?

ABC News: Giuliani-McCain: That's the Ticket?:

"At a campaign event Aug. 8, 2007, Giuliani told a crowd in Iowa, 'I happen
to be a very big admirer of Sen. McCain and I can tell you quite honestly that
if I weren't running for president I would be here supporting him. If for some
reason I made a decision not to run he'd be my candidate.' It was the second
time this summer Giuliani voiced support for McCain without much prompting. 'I'm
flattered by that,' McCain told ABC News Radio. 'That's a very nice thing for
him to say. I have great respect for him and we are very friendly.' "


Is this the prelude to an offer of joining on the ticket together. Does a Giuliani-McCain ticket have what it takes to beat the democratic nominee. What does each bring to the table that makes the union stronger. One theory is based on geography, and I think that one could be important in this race. If Hilary and Rudy get the nominations for their parties - they are both based in New York. The tickets will be searching for vice presidents that could balance that. For Rudy that makes McCain, from the western state of Arizona a good choice, maybe Hilary could go with Richardson from New Mexico.

Ideologically McCain and Giuliani are not that far apart, they both have a weak history on the immigration issue, they both support the current course in Iraq and they both have a rocky relationship with the religious base of the party. Ideologically speaking Giuliani might be better paired with someone like Huckabee that can bring in the religious voters. As the governor of Arkansas he has the potential to bring geographic balance to the ticket as well.

No comments:

Facebook

Dante Rose Pleiades's Facebook profile